The Masquerade was a costuming and talent show held on the Saturday night, and is traditionally a highlight of the convention. Costumes could be any kind of science fiction or fantasy outfit - an entirely original design of your own, your interpretation of a literary character, or replicas of designs from TV, film, comics, anime, etc. You could elect to be judged on costume, performance, or both; costume was the primary consideration for the main prize, but performance was taken into account. You could also enter SF/F themed skits, songs, or other performances. The theme for Au Contraire 2013 was "regeneration"; entries that related to that theme in some way were particularly welcome, but it wasn't essential.
- To be judged on costume, your costume must be primarily your own work, and must not have been entered in any previous costume competition.
- Your costume can be modelled by someone else, but both costume-maker and model must be Au Contraire members.
- Team entries are also welcome.
- If a team or costume-maker/model pair win a prize, how you divide it amongst yourselves is up to you.
- You may enter both as an individual and as part of a team, but be aware that you'll have limited time for a costume change!
- If you're only entering the performance category, bought costumes are acceptable.
- If you have previously won a significant prize in any other costume competition (eg Armageddon) or have entered previous costume competitions more than five times, you are not eligible for the Novice category; anyone may enter in the Open category.
- Entries must be received by 7 July 2013.
Entries Have Now Closed
Please log in to view the entry form.